life is a mission......

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The giving tree....

When I saw this tree it reminded me of the poem by Shel Silverstein....The Giving Tree...

Once there was a tree, and she loved a little boy. And every day he would come and gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest. He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches and eat apples. And they would play hide- and- go- seek and when he was tired he would sleep in her shade. and the boy loved the tree very much, and the tree was happy. But time went by and the boy grew older and the tree was often alone. Then one day the boy came to the tree and the tree said, "come boy and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat my apples and sleep in my shade."
"I am too big to climb and play," said the boy. "I want to buy things and have fun. I want some money?"
"I'm sorry," said the tree. "I have no money. All I have are leaves and apples. Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in the city. Then you will have money and you will be happy."
And so the boy climbed up the tree and gathered the apples and carried them away. And the tree was happy.
but the Boy stayed away for a long time and the tree was sad.
And then one day the Boy came back and the tree shook with joy and she said, "come Boy, climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and be happy."
"I am too busy to climb trees," said the boy. "I want a house to keep me warm. I want a wife and children so I need a house. Can you give me a house?"
"I have no house," said the tree. "The forest is my house. But you can cut off my branches and build a house and then you will be happy."

The poem goes on. It's a beautiful picture of how selfish we as humans are and how giving nature is to us. It can also be related to how much God gives us and how we just keep asking and asking from Him and then when we are finally at the end of ourselves, we might have time for Him. I think we should live each moment to the fullest, but never forgetting WHY we are here. Our purpose in life..... SIEZE THE DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment