life is a mission......

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ester Camp....



Well, I know it's been a while since I blogged, but I didn't realize I didn't talk about April at all!

So, during April was Easter. Janz Team has an English Camp during the Easter holiday for German kids from 11-13 years old. It's only a week long for these campers (where in summer camp it's 10 days). These guys were at such a wonderful, cute age! The girls are taller than the boys, the boys still don't really talk to the girls..... you know.... JUNIOR HIGH!!!



We had 55 campers and 16 staff people. Most of the staff people were German people that I work with in my office building. I've worked with them all year, and I know kind of who they are, but this was a great way for me to get to know them! It's really be tremendous in building the relationships in the office. People just stop in and chat and I feel more comfortable talking to them also.



At camp, that was an amazing time! Every night after chapel service we had at least one camper pray and ask Jesus into their heart! One of the activities that they could do was to memorize Bible verses (in English, German or both) and even the msot limited English speaker told us at least 1 Bible verse in English! That's what it's all about!


This is Charlotte. One evening after our chapel service she was sitting alone. I felt I needed to go and talk to her. I had no idea what her English level was, so sometimes I didn't always talk to the kids as much as I should have. I asked her what she was thinking about. She told me that she wanted to pray and ask Jesus into her heart, but she felt that there was darkness blocking her. We talked about that and prayed and she was a new creature in Christ!! We've kept in contact via letters and email since camp. She's an amazing new lovely young lady!








This is Laura. She grew up going to camp and she is now following Christ because of English camps! She came back this year as a staff person to teach English and be a counselor. Her parents are from Budapest, so she knows Hugarian. She grew up in Germany, so she knows German. In school she has learned (and is proficient) English. She has learned French and Italian. Yes, she knows 5 languages! Her English is flawless! Our first night together as staff we sat down to have a devotional time. I had my Bible and she said, "Oh and English Bible, I've always wanted one of those!" On Saturday before we left camp I gave her my Bible. I've had it for about 7 years and it has all kinds of notes and writings in it and post it notes stuck all through it with verses that mean a lot to me. I gave it to her as is. She was crying, I was crying. It was a wonderful moment!





This is the YELLOW TEAM! Being a teacher at summer camp I've never been able to be an activity team leader. Those are the people who get to have fun with the kids! I was so glad when I could at this camp. We had fun! We played baseball, capture the flag and all kinds of relay races. Fun times.





This is a calf. ;) One afternoon during activity time we went to a dairy farm that was close by. Not only was the walk fun, but the cows were so cute! The smell wasn't....but the cows were cute. Seeing the campers interact with the cows was fun. They were trying to feed them hay and some of them would eat and some would just turn their head. I have some great pictures! This little guy was born the week we came.



Easter camp was a success!



We reached German kids for Christ!



Now, less than 40 days before the staff arrive for this summer's camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment